Posted on 13 April 2012.
Energy efficiency is one of the main factor in home sustainability.
Appart from energy efficiency, homes can be more sustainable if energy come from renewable energies.
Matching these factors we can get a self-sufficient home.
Let´s see how it can be done and its benefits.
Reduce energy consumption
Some aspects we must attend to reduce energy consumption.
- Energy efficient electronics – each new generation of electronics have better features and less energy consumption. Depending on the geographic area there are different regulations for that.
- Isolation – a properly isolated home can save 30% in energy necessary for heating.
Room temperature is another point to take into account. Recommended temperature is 20º. For each adicional degree consumption increases in 5%.
- Use natural light as much as you can – we´ll decrease energy consumption with this simple tip. For lights we can choose low consumption lightbulbs, or even better led lightbulbs wich are much more efficient.
Generate our own energy
We can combine previous tips with renewable energy sources and get a more energy efficient home.
- Renewable energies – we can get electricity, hot water and heating from solar pannels. Another choice can be wind energy using a turbine.
- for the heating we can choose a biomass boiler.